From the first moment your baby was placed in your arms, you most likely would have spent hours enjoying the distinct scent of your baby’s skin and running your fingers through the fuzzy hair, your precious little one was endowed with.
However, as much as they are soft and supple they are also highly vulnerable to damage from dryness.
That’s why it is essential to choose gentle products that are specially formulated, keeping in mind that your baby’s skin is still thin and developing in the first year.
Since before Kay-Kay was born, me and my deputy (My Husband) have been on a hunt for the most gentle products for her. Invariably, the more natural and organic the constituents the more suitable to a baby’s skin the products are.
I wanted something that would cleanse and yet not over dry my baby’s skin. Through the course of the last year, I have had a good chance to review some great products. I would like to elaborate on what I would look for, while deciding on which products to use for my precious little one.
There are several things you should look for when choosing a suitable shampoo or body wash for your baby.
1) Hypoallergenic: While there is no regulation of the term “hypoallergenic,” companies use it to indicate their product doesn’t contain the common irritants and is not likely to cause a skin reaction.
Still it is advisable to go through the ingredients for the complete list.
But a hypoallergenic label is a good start.
2) Fragrance-Free: There’s nothing as charming and innocent than that “new-baby” smell, so why would you want to cover it up with synthetic fragrances? Not only can added scents irritate your baby’s skin, but due to their strong and persistent nature they could overwhelm your baby’s senses, in a way that could really confuse them as well. If you still feel strongly about choosing scented products, make sure the fragrance is from natural sources.
3)Non-Drying: Your baby’s skin releases moisture much more easily than yours, and many baby skin problems stem from being overly dry. Choose a gentle cleansing product that won’t dry out your baby’s skin.
In the light of what has been said, the thought may cross your mind to do away with soaps altogether.
But studies have shown that water-only cleansing actually dries out babies’ skin more than using a gentle cleanser.
It may seem like a daunting task but take courage, there are many labels out there that are committed to preserving and nourishing your baby’s skin. Some better known than others. So let us review a few.
AVEENO Baby Wash & Shampoo blends natural oat extract into a rich lathering wash that cleans without drying because it is soap free and allergy tested. This tear-free formula can be used on skin and hair for gentle cleansing that rinses clean, leaving a soft, fresh fragrance. AVEENO® Baby Wash & Shampoo is formulated to be gentle enough for infants, and babies’ sensitive skin. It’s tear free, soap free and paraben free.
We purchased this from the US while sailing so got it at a more reasonable rate.
This baby wash is formulated with natural oat extract that cleanses without irritation and nourishes and protects the skin. It helps to calm irritated skin and also lock in moisture and contains oat extract to calm skin.
WHAT’S IN IT:
Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Glycerin, Coco-Glucoside, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Sodium Benzoate, Glyceryl Oleate, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Polyquaternium-10, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Butylene Glycol, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract
Rs 989 for 236 ml
- Nourishes and protects skin which makes it an ideal wash for newborns.
- It does not contain soap which means no over drying the skin.
- It is tear free.
- Perfect for babies who tend to have dry skin.
- It contains a mild fragrance
- High on the pricing
RATING : 4.7/5
Sebamed is a leading skincare brand. What intrigues me is that their entire product range is contains high quality active ingredients which cleanse and nourish the skin without destroying the natural acid protection mantle.
Click here for a detailed review on the “SEBAMED BABY WASH AND SHAMPOO REVIEW
WHAT’S IN IT :
Aqua, Decyl Glucoside, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Laureth-6 Carboxylic Acid, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Sodium Lactate, Allantoin, Squalane, Magnesium Sulfate, Parfum, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Benzoate
Rs 419 for 200 ml
- All of Sebameds products are imported from Germany and the products will tell you so. I find a difference in products purchased abroad and in India and that is a big disappointment in some brands. However, with Sebamed you can be sure of the quality 😊
- 100% soap and Alkali free
- With the PH value of 5.5, it is proven to promote the development of the acid mantle protection of your baby’s skin.
- An interesting ingredient “Allantoin” makes the skin soft and smooth.
- Babies have less subcutaneous fat than adults, making it easier for toxins to be absorbed into your baby’s body. Sebamed ensures the refatting effect providing the lipid support your baby’s skin needs.
- Price is on the higher side.
RATING : 4.8/5
During my search for a natural and toxin free baby wash, I came across The Moms Co. They have been around for 3 years now and can safely say, they have made a mark in bringing to us the safest natural formulations that are certified toxin free.
WHATS IN IT:
Purified Water, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Glycerin, Lauryl Glucoside, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Lauryl Glucose Carboxylate, Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Methyl Cocyl Taurate, Mandarin, Grapefruit and Orange Essential Oils, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Xylitylglucoside, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, D-Panthenol, Pink Salt, Citric Acid, Sodium Gluconate, Calendula Oil, Avocado Oil, Organic Chamomile Oil, Organic Aloe Vera Leaf Gel, Organic Argan Oil
Rs. 393 for 200 ml
Easy to use Pump nozzle
USDA-Certified Organic Actives.
Clinically Tested for Safety and hypoallergenic
I found that it lathers much less
WHAT’S IN IT:
Water*, Cocamidopropyl Betaine*, PEG-80 Sorbitan Laurate, Glycerin*, PEG-150 Pentaerythrityl Tetrastearate, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl Cocamide*, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate*, Sodium Benzoate, Decyl Glucoside*, Citric Acid*, Fragrance, Ethylhexylglycerin
PRICE: Rs 104 for 210 ml
- No tears formula
- PH balanced and hypoallergenic
- Mild and gentle for sensitive baby’s skin
- Although the product is reasonably priced and packaged, the ingredients are not exquisite. It’s a mild cleansing agent and that is all there is to it. Hence the average rating. However, Johnson n Johnson’s have come up with an absolute new range and I’m definitely going to give that one a try.
This is another soap free and aqua based body wash for hydrating and nourishing baby’s soft skin.
WHAT’S IN IT:
PRICING: Rs 127 for 200 ml
- Pure and natural ingredients
- Tear free
- Never tested on animals
- Hypoallergenic and GMP certified
- Contains natural botanical oils
- Very easy on the pockets
- Very less lather which means I ultimately end up using more product.
Please note: When you try a new product on your baby, wait for 24- 48 hours to check for any reaction. If no reaction is found, you can go ahead and safely use the product.
All products listed above have been researched from credible sources and have been used first hand.
I hope our reviews and experience will help you pick out the best of the baby bath washes in the market. What is your favorite baby bath wash? Do let me know in the comments below!
Stay tuned for more such reviews.